Keblinger

Keblinger

Pages

7/27/2011

Letter Blocks

Today I am going to show you the letter blocks that are sitting on my mantel. I needed something small to go under our family picture, so I asked my husband to cut some of our scrap wood into little blocks. The blocks have FAMILY on one side, and our last name (since it had six letters as well) on the other side. Two sets in one! Gotta love that!

I really need to get better at taking pictures "during" my projects instead of always at the end. So I do apologize that I don't have the before and during pictures. I will work on that!



You want a set? Choose your wording....love, home, or a child's name. I have lots of ideas for similar future projects myself. You will need 4x4 blocks. I think you buy some precut at a craft store. However, we went the cheaper route and just cut ours from leftover scrap wood we had. The wood was not perfect, but it fit the look I wanted. "antiqued and country".

Sand and spray paint you base color. (I chose creamy white). Let it dry and spray your top coat. (mine is black). Distress the sides.

Choose your scrapbook paper. For this particular project, I wanted it to be neutral, so it's a cream and tan damask print. Glue on your blocks. Lastly, I hand panted my letters onto the paper and distressed my paper a little too.

Now, if you have a stencil or craft stencil cutters, you could easily have perfect letters to go on your blocks. Since I had neither, I just went the old fashioned way. But you know, I really like it! It looks good on my mantel. I didn't take a picture of the whole fireplace, but trust me, it fits perfect with our big canvas of the family and pictures of my little handsomes. (And by the way, don't you love that you can see my littlest taking his sock off in the picture. Yep, that's him...can't ever keep the socks on! And it made the picture that much better!!)

I enjoyed making it, and will probably make more in the future (well, not exactly the same, but same idea) ;)

Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment