Keblinger

Keblinger

Pages

5/24/2012

Fudge Cream

Fudge pops bring back a wonderful memory of a childhood treat. It wasn't something we had all the time, but when we did, I loved it! As to this day, I still love chocolate! And so do my little handsome boys! And we love to cook and bake all kinds of wonderful treats together. So fudge pops was on my list of things to fix!

As the name implies, fudge pops are meant to be eaten like a Popsicle. However, I have no Popsicle molds. I know, don't judge..how could a mom of little ones not have Popsicle molds?!? Well, to be honest, I did have some, but they got lost somewhere in our packing and moving a couple years ago. But did that stop us! No, sirree! We made fudge cream...poured into a loaf pan to resemble a carton of ice cream. And it did not disappoint. I actually like it better because it doesn't drip everywhere while the little handsomes are eating.

I found a recipe for fudge pops and decided to make it allergy friendly for us. This is a super easy way to fix some creamy chocolate fudge-y ice cream for a hot summer day. That's exactly why I had to fix more for our Memorial Day weekend. The last time I saw the weather, they were predicting record heat in the 90s, with heat index 100-105 degrees. That's hot, and this is sure to be a cool treat for my boys and their cousin that is visiting.

We enjoyed a little today!



And as always, they like it! :)




We use Enjoy Life brand for our chocolate chips (taste great and allergy friendly; free of all top 8 most common allergies). I also used rice milk, but you could substitute your choice of milk. I would think anything a higher fat content would result in an even creamier texture--think coconut or dairy milks if you have no dietary restrictions. The recipe calls for vanilla and butter (which we use a vegan or dairy free butter). However, I have forgotten to include both of these each time I have made it. I always get in poured into my pan before I remember to add that last two ingredients. It has turned out just wonderful each time, so I just left that as optional. As written, I have calculated one serving (this would have 16 servings in the loaf pan, about the amount you would think of on a Popsicle stick) to have 154 calories, and 3 grams of fat.

Fudge Cream (dairy free)
makes one loaf pan


1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup plus 2 TBSP unsweetened cocoa powder
5 cups rice milk
2 tsp vanilla (optional)
2 TBSP vegan butter (optional)


Add all ingredients into a saucepan and stir occasionally, to constantly, until all are melted and smooth.




Stir until thickened. I test my thickness by taking a spoon and getting a small amount and letting it cool. This process takes about 15 minutes. Make sure you increase your stirring time to constantly, so as to keep it from sticking.




Once thickened, poor into your loaf pan...oops, see I did it again! You need to add your vanilla and butter before pouring into the loaf pan (I happened to use a glass pan here). Cover and place in freezer. If you fix it first thing in the morning, it would be ready to have after supper. Or you can fix at night, and have the next day. Takes about 6-8 hrs to freeze completely.

Then enjoy!!
Happy Memorial Day!

-Cindy

1 comment: