Keblinger

Keblinger

Pages

5/25/2012

Bird eggs and Mother's Day

Had this post I was going to do for Mother's day, but the time just got away from me. Sorry it's a little late. ;)

Two springs in a row, our house has been a home to mother birds and their eggs. Last year, purple martins built two nest under our deck.


The boys had a blast looking at the eggs every morning, and then loved looking at the tiny baby birds after they hatched.


They would run to the deck first thing in the morning to check up on them!



Then this spring, on our way home from church on a Sunday in April, I noticed a bird hopping around in the gravel drive. Much to my surprise, there were two speckled eggs that blended right in to the gravel.




Can you see them?!? Almost like trying to find one of those hidden pictures in the Highlights magazine (which my little handsomes love, by the way). As the days went by, there were two more eggs, for a total of four eggs.


The Killdeer birds, both mother and father, watch over the nest and eggs until they hatch. We did a little research to learn more about the birds, which were so funny to watch. (You can read more about them here). The parents would chirp loudly, jump, run, and even act injured to distract you from their eggs. I couldn't even go to the mailbox without them having one of these distracting fits. My dad is such an animal lover...he placed a big jug in front of their nest so that no one would accidentally hurt them pulling into our drive. We had several people ask about why we had that jug in our driveway! Ha!

But their efforts paid off. On Mother's Day morning on our way to church, I saw a tiny little bird hopping around in the grass! Those little guys can walk right when they hatch! By the next day, all eggs had hatched and the birds had moved on their way to a new home.

We loved watching and "caring" for them during their stay at our house! And I loved it that they hatched on Mother's Day!! How sweet was that!

Since I am talking about Mothers....here is a picture of my mom and me on Mother's Day!


I am so blessed to have a her as my mom. She really is a wonderful woman of God, and a great mother!

Have a blessed day!
-Cindy




2 comments:

  1. I think all kinds of birds love your house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, my parents are crazy! I'm glad they had a good time, but am still soooo jealous that I didn't get to go.

    I am loving these bird posts. That's something I would have loved as a kid and I'm sure the boys will talk about the birds that hatched under the deck and in the driveway when they're older.

    ReplyDelete