Keblinger

Keblinger

Pages

9/23/2011

Chicken Pot Pie with biscuit topping (dairy free too!)

Nothing says fall like comfort foods! And tonight for dinner I whipped up a super quick and easy supper. I had planned on making something else, but last minute changes led to this wonderful comfort dinner!



No recipe here really....but trust me, you can make it! Here's a general idea of how much you need of each ingredient.

Chicken Pot Pie with savory biscuit topping

  • olive oil (enough to lightly coat the bottom of stockpot)
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • about 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 can chicken broth
  • 2 bags of mixed vegetables (just regular size bags)
  • cooked shredded chicken (maybe 2 cups?)
  • salt and pepper to taste (you can add some Italian seasoning to this too if you like)
  • (celery would be great to cook with your onions too, but I didn't have any on hand tonight.)
biscuit topping:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 TBSP baking powder
  • garlic powder (I just sprinkled some in)
  • Italian seasoning, dried, but you could always use fresh (maybe 1/2-1 tsp)
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 1/3 vegetable oil

Pour olive oil in stockpot and cook onions until translucent (around 4min). Add flour and stir well. Add chicken broth, stirring to make a roux. Cook about 2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, stirring to combine. Let it come to a boil (make sure you keep your eye on in, stirring as needed). Mine didn't take but a couple of minutes. You may need to add a little more broth or water depending on how thick you like your pot pie. I added maybe 1/2 cup of water to mine. Pour into a sprayed 9x13 casserole dish. Prepare biscuit topping. Mix all ingredients together in the order listed, and spread over your chicken and veggies. Bake at 400degrees for about 15min. Total time for me tonight was less than 30min.

**the trick to making this a quick dinner is using the cooked shredded chicken (I cooked 2 chickens this week because they were on sale this week at Kroger for $0.79/lb, and already had it shredded for quick and easy meals), and then buying the steamable mixed vegetables. If you read this post this week, Kroger has the Birdseye steamfresh mixed vegetables on sale for $1, so go buy some and stock up. They are great to put in soups for quick dinners. No need to wait for them to cook in the pot...just toss them in the microwave while you cut up and cook your onion. They will be ready to toss in to your soup! I'm telling ya, this is the way to go. I fixed a chicken, veggie and rice soup last week that took literally 15minutes from start to finish by using the above tips! And it was great too!

Well, we all loved our dinner! I have never made my chicken pot pie like this before, but I think I will be doing it like from now on! (that is unless I want the traditional rolled crust) ;)

Happy 1st Day of Fall!!!
-Cindy

3 comments:

  1. Looks good! Wish my family liked chicken pot pie!! I am the only one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks good! I had chicken pot pie for lunch today. It's such a good fall meal!

    ReplyDelete