Keblinger

Keblinger

Pages

6/28/2012

Oatmeal Raisin Protein Snack Bars

I did something yesterday that left me leaping for joy!!! Not literally, but I was definately excited about my creation in the kitchen! It is going to save me money, and offer a healthy snack and breakfast option for on-the-go mornings.

My oldest little handsome likes to eat the Enjoy Life granola bars. I buy them for him on occasion, because sometimes we just need some allergy friendly "grab and go" foods (which is hard to find). However, at $4 for five bars, I try to limit my purchases. 

Then comes my cooking yesterday. I have been cooking like a mad woman this week! We just got back late Sunday night from a much needed fun-in-the-sun vacation, and the garden yielded bag fulls of zucchini and squash. So I'm sure you can guess what we've been eating this week! Now, these bars do not have zucchini or squash in them, but they were the one thing I've made all week that didn't!! We've had apple and zucchini muffins, chocolate zucchini brownie cake, summer soup, homemade pizza with zucchini and squash toppings. I think I just needed a cooking adventure that didn't include my garden veggies!


So getting back to the bars....I have seen lots of people use dates in their granola bars, so I decided to give my own ideas a try. After a couple of variations, and after several batches, I think I have a winner! The little taste-testers LOVED them, and I found that I couldn't stop nibbling on them either! Very good! Perfect for busy mornings, or afternoon snacks! They are quick to make and require very few ingredients. Working with them, I found I didn't even need the oven to have a great finished product, so the turn around time to eat them is literally just a couple minutes (thus the reason for my constant tasting and nibbling).




Oatmeal Raisin Protein Snack Bars

1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup pitted dates
3/4 cup oatmeal
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
4-6 TBSP Sunbutter
2 TBSP Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips (optional)


Combine the raisins and dates in your food processor. Add the dry ingredients and process again. Gradually add the Sunbutter (sunflowers, to keep this nut free), until all ingredients start to stick together. This ranged anywhere from 4-6 TBSP, so I recommend adding a 1/2 tablespoon at a time after getting up to 4. In my last couple of batches, I used 5 in one and 6 in the other, which was probably impacted by the dates as they are large and the actual number probably varies slightly in the 1/2 cup serving. If you choose to have chocolate, add it now. Again, we always use Enjoy Life brand, as they are allergy friendly.

When all combined, remove and press into a small pan. You can also shape them with your hands. Just make sure to press all ingredients together to form your bar.

That's it! No baking required! Enjoy!

Makes 6 bars



Nutritional info per bar: (with 6 TBSP for Sunbutter, and chocolate chips) 225 cal, 10 fat, 6 protein


We all approve of these breakfast or snack protein bars. My husband, who is not a fan of bars in any way, liked them too. I will be making some for him to take to work on Monday mornings, so that he will have breakfast everyday. (He says he forgets to eat...I don't know how anybody forgets! My belly lets me know every 4hrs, plus snack time!) :) I have made several over the last two days, so I am going to try freezing them too!


Hope you like them as much as we do!

-Cindy




1 comment:

  1. They look really tasty! I'll give them a try next week and let you know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete